Google today has announced Arun Kumar Yadav, a class 9 student of Kendriya Vidyalaya from Chandigarh, as the winner of the Doodle 4 Google 2012 competition. The doodle will go live on the Google India homepage on November 14, National Children Day. Moreover, all the finalists will receive a Google Goodie bag and a Samsung tablet.
Google invited all the children between the ages of 5 to 16 years to share their creativity by doodling on the Google logo. The theme of this year’s competition was ‘Unity in Diversity’. The company received over 2,00,000 entries from over 1000 schools across 60 cities. The participants were grouped into three different categories – Group 1 comprising students from class 1 to 3; Group 2 with students from class 4 to 6; and Group 3 with students from class 7 to 10.
The initial enteries went through a round of preliminary judging by film and theatre actor Boman Irani and political cartoonist Ajit Ninan; as a second step, online public voting was used to choose one winner from each group; and finally, the reputed jury, along with the original Google Doodler Dennis Hwang, selected the final winning doodle from all the finalists.
Below is the list of the 13 finalists from across India:
Group 1: class 1 to 3
1. Vidhi Binwal – The Orchid School, Pune
2. Saubhagya Kalia – Sri Aurobindo School of International Education, Chandigarh
3. Vasuevan Deepak – Devigiri C.M.I Public School, Calicut
4. M. Pranshu Tanaya – D.A.V Public School, Balasore
Group 2: class 4 to 6
1. Kajal C.Soni – Queen Mary School, Mumbai
2. Shravya Manjunath, Mitra Academy
3. Aditi Tiwari – Amity International School, Gurgaon
4. Gulafsha Bano – St. Anthony’s Day School, Kolkata
Group 3: class 7 to 10
1. Arun Kumar Yadav – Kendriya Vidyalaya, Chandigarh
2. S. Preetham Paul – Sri Prakash Vidyaniketan, Vishakapatnam
3. Md. Aftab Alam – Albany Hall Public School, Kolkata
4. Prasun Jain – Anand Vikas Higer Secondary School, Bhopal
5. Samiksha Goel – Kendriya Vidyalaya No 1 Uppal, Hyderabad